Die grosse Klimakrise - Was tun?
Die Cambridge Climate Lecture Series machen halt in der Schweiz. Die Chancen das Klima um 2 Grad zu stabilisieren schwinden. Lt. Kevin Anderson liegen sie gerade noch bei 5%.
Was können wir jetzt noch tun?
Die Veranstaltung findet in englischer Sprache statt. Referent ist der renommierte Klimawissenschaftler Dr. Hugh Hunt (Video mit Kevin Anderson) von der Universität of Cambridge. Begleitet wird er vom Klimajournalisten Nick Breeze. (sein jüngstes Video mit James Hanson).
Fr. 8. Dezember 2017, Wandellust - 19.30 Uhr
Kevin Anderson quote: “95% chance of failure & 5% chance of success; it is not a random 5%, it is a choice. We are literally choosing to fail.” What if we choose to succeed?
The talk with Dr Hugh Hunt, University of Cambridge will at fist establish where the 95% figure of expected failure to save the climate originates. The lack of political, social and commercial will to change course and consume less or move to a sustainable economy.
The next stage is to look at the status quo in terms of atmospheric concentrations and the impacts we face both in the near-term and in the longer term.
The 5% “choices” - what are they?
Highlight a list of choices that could be made that would bend the curve away from failure. They will be tough but they have to be made:
- - Rapid decarbonisation and phasing out of fossil fuel
- - Protection of natural carbon sinks.
- - Retrofit all existing dwellings and make energy sources clean and resilient.
- - Prepare for the worst - research geoengineering but assume that it will fail.
- - Bring the young people into the decision making frame.
- - Equity with poorer nations who are losing their homes today - how do we address loss and damage?
Some of these we don’t yet have the answer to but all these questions are what we are investigating in Cambridge Climate Lecture Series and we are bringing the best minds we can find to talk about these issues.